Friday, August 24, 2012

What's in a walk?

Yesterday I went for a walk.  What's so special about that you say?

In New Zealand we are so spoiled for places to go and enjoy nature.  I have several walks I do near my home so that I don't have to get in the car, but sometimes it's just worth driving 30 minutes to get to one of the many parks around here.  Although everyone likes to complain about the New Zealand government, in many ways they have done great things for us.  Our National Parks are nothing to be sneezed at.  We went to Rimutaka Forest National Park and it was so easy - just drive up to the carpark, follow the signs and in 5 mnutes you can't see more than a few meters for all the trees, ferns, and climbing plants.

It's absolutely fantastic that I can drive half an hour from my home in the city and be in native NZ bush.  There are so many countries where you simply cannot do that.  People have populated so much that it's just impossible to get away from them!  Thanks DOC for beautiful, dense, green, lush, and yesterday squelchy New Zealand native parks.


No comments:

Post a Comment